Olive oil analysis:
Science4Life laboratories perform analysis useful to the commodity classification of extra virgin olive oils, according to the Regulation (EU) No 1348/2013, by determining:
- number of peroxides,
- state of UV absorption,
- fatty acid composition,
- content of the fatty acid ethyl esters (FAEE),
- composition and content of sterols and triterpene alcohols,
- wax content,
- stigmastadiene content,
- 2-glyceryl monopalmitate
- content of triglycerides.
Science4Life laboratories also perform organoleptic tests and determination of minor components of olive oil, such as:
- antioxidant compounds (tocopherols, polyphenols, carotene, chlorophylls and carotenoids and squalene),
- aliphatic alcohols,
- macro- and micro-elements,
- volatile fraction,
- organic and inorganic contaminants (pesticides residues, halogenated solvents, plasticizers, PAHs, heavy metals).
Science4Life laboratories perform safety and quality controls on wine in accordance with the current European regulations by monitoring the following parameters:
- total acidity,
- volatile acidity,
- alpha-amino nitrogen and ammonia,
- tartaric, malic, gluconic and lactic acids,
- alcohol content,
- glucose/fructose ratio.
- Furthermore, it is possible to determine:
- macro- and micro-elements,
- ochratoxin and biogenic amines,
- heavy metals and pesticide residues.
Analysis of food matrices
Panel test: objective measurement and evaluation of all product features perceived by the 5 human senses for identifying quality food products .
Bromatological analysis: determination of protein, carbohydrates, lipids, ash, moisture, carbohydrates, fiber, polyalcohols, polydextrose and cholesterol.
Chemical analysis: polyphenol composition and determination of natural active ingredients (lycopene, catechins, flavonoids, anthocyanins, etc.), sterol and fatty acid composition, cis/trans composition, additives (preservatives and antioxidant), organic acids, mineral oils, mineral analysis (potassium , calcium, iron, selenium, etc.), and determination of the total organic carbon (TOC).
Microbiological Analysis: analysis of the major food pathogens, shelf-life studies, challenge test, determination of parasites, determination of fish products freshness.
Determination of food contaminants:
- environmental contaminants (PCBs and dioxin–like PCBs, PAHs , radioactivity and heavy metals),
- microbiological contaminants: pathogenic microorganisms/safety indicators, process indicator microorganisms and shelf-life indicators,
- contaminants resulting from microbial metabolism : mycotoxins ( aflatoxins and ochratoxin A) and biogenic amines ,
- contaminants deriving from packaging (phthalates , adipates , sebacates , monomers , heavy metals and bisphenol A ).
Resolution of issues related to the production process: characterization of volatile organic substances correlated to sensory defects, analysis of extraneous substances using FT-IR , SEM ( scanning electron microscopy) and GC-MS-MS.
ANALYSIS OF MATERIALS IN CONTACT WITH FOOD (PACKAGING)
Overall migration tests, for assessing the suitability of materials to come into contact with food.
Suitability tests of materials, such as aluminum, ceramic, stainless steel, glass and paper intended to come into contact with food.
Determination of metals by ICP-AES and ICP-MS techniques
ANALYSIS OF COSMETIC PRODUCTS
Rheological and physical tests: determination of viscosity, density and control of commodity product features
Chemical tests: determination of preservatives, heavy metals, phthalates
Microbiological tests for testing the effectiveness of the preservative systems (Challenge Test).
ANALYSIS OF ESSENTIAL OILS
GC-MS and GC-FID profiling of essential oils.
Chiral analysis for the genuineness control of essential oils.
Determination of environmental contaminants (PCBs and dioxin–like PCBs, PAHs and heavy metals),
ANALYSIS OF ENVIRONMENTAL MATRICES
Sampling of Environmental Matrices: sampling is performed according to the methodological specifications of the matrix, observing the current technical standards and legislation.
Chemical analysis: determination of PCB, dioxin-like PCBs, pesticides and heavy metals.
Analysis of drinking water, wastewater and groundwater: the laboratory is specialized in chemical and microbiological analysis of all water matrices, performed in compliance with current environmental legislations.
Soil analysis: particle size analysis, chemical analysis (determination of macro- and micro-elements), determination of pH, carbonate, active calcium and estimation of soil salinity.
Chemical analysis aimed at the characterization of polluted sites.
Chemical and microbiological analysis on compost and composting material.